The History of the Church of St John the Baptist, Elmore


Elmore is a parish in the middle division of the hundred of Dudstone, county Gloucester, 5 miles S.W. of Gloucester. It is situated on the eastern bank of the river Severn. The greater portion of the land is meadow and pasture land. A rock here obstructs the course of the Severn, and renders it un-navigable at low water. The church, dedicated to St John the Baptist, is an ancient stone structure with an embattled tower at the west end and an extensive churchyard.

The north aisle was the original chancel and the lower of the three sections of the tower is from the 13th century. The Church was restored in 1879-80 by F.S. Waller when the chancel was re-roofed and the nave and aisle roofs repaired. The font, pulpit and vestry screen are also of this date.

To the south side of the Church stand a remarkeable array of table top tombs dating from the 15th century onwards. One tomb chest dates to 1472 having an incised line portrait of a knight in armour and inscriptions commemorating "Johannes Gyse and Alicia his wife". Another bears two crying figures commemorating the departed. To the west of the Church is the Guise family mausoleum, now a ruin and located near to the more recent Guise family burial ground.

Elmore Court, the ancient seat of the Guise family, is a handsome Elizabethan mansion, situated on a nearby eminence". It is the ancient centre of the village and owns the surrounding lands managed by tenant farmers.

From: 'The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland' (1868).
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003 [and other material from Pevsner]



+



Elmore Church Yard


Elmore Church is surrounded by an ancient Church Yard which is still in use today, it has been described as one of the most beautiful and historic churchyards in England. The table top tombs to the south of the Church and the Guise Mausoleum to the west of the Church are particularly fine and of national significance.

An extensive survey of the many burials and tombstones in our churchyard was carried out by Colin Ellis in 2014,
the documents he has prepared can be downloaded below.

Elmore Church Graveyard - Listed Tombstones and Monuments


Elmore Church Graveyard - Plan All Cells


Elmore Church Graveyard - Survey of Graves



+